Cap Inspector Non-destructive Cap Torque Tester
- Accurate & repeatable results (Non-subjective testing)
- Reduce product & packaging waste
- Perform non-destructive & destructive testing
- Improve operator safety
- Calibrate in the field
- Variable speed motor
- Wide range of accessories
Cap torque testing has been an integral part of the packaging industry's quality control program for years. Cap torque testing helps prevent consumer complaints from difficult-to-open products, product leakage or spoilage from loose caps during transportation. Many packaging facilities use small, manual desktop models that are inconsistent and non-repeatable due to outside variables. A manual tester's accuracy is affected by the operator's physical size and strength as these factors can deform a cap and apply variable torque (variable acceleration), leading to an inaccurate result. Even something as simple as wet hands can cause slippage and affect the accuracy of manual cap testers. The cap inspector series serves the beverage, dairy, pharmaceutical, personal care, cosmetic, consumer product, automotive and chemical industries.
As the industry leader in precision motion test equipment market, Vibrac continues to develop advanced solutions to industrial testing problems. Over 50 years of experience in the field of torque measurement is reflected in every Vibrac system. The new Model 2100 Cap Inspector is born from a long line of market leading cap test systems. The Cap Inspector offers a range of improvements over the traditional Vibrac systems used and appreciated all over the world.
For more information, please select from the choices below
Features and Improvements
- New Windows 7® SmartScreen operator interface
- New front panel with Date and Time display
- Screen tilt adjustment for easy viewing in poorly lit conditions
- Low profile and smaller footprint design
- USB and Ethernet connectivity
- Simplified programming and profile management
- New options for viewing, managing and exporting data
- New password security options
Programmable Tests for All Types of Caps
With the simple touch of a button on the smart screen, the converted cap inspector can perform 6 different tests.
- Bridge Torque - This test determines the rotational force needed to remove a cap and to break the bridges that join the cap to a tamper-evident band on plastic and aluminum caps.
- Incremental Torque - This test is used to measure the removal torque of a cap and then reapply the cap to a specific position beyond the original starting position. This test is designed to be a non-destructive test, and prevent leaking problems by reapplying the cap to a secure position.
- Removal Torque - A non-destructive test, this is used to determine the peak removal torque of a cap. The removal torque is measured and displayed, and then reapplied to a specific value.
- Reverse Ratchet Torque - This test measures the torque required to rotate a child-resistant type cap without engaging the child resistant mechanism (i.e., no vertical down force).
- ROPP - This procedure is for testing Roll-On Pilfer Proof type caps. This test method measures the torque required to break the tamper-evident band bridges, and strip threads on ROPP caps.
- Strip Torque Test - This test is designed to measure the torque required to strip the threads on any type of cap (torque limits may apply).
Vibrac's cap torque test system, the Cap Inspector, may be easily programmed to apply torque in the opening direction until the breakaway or peak removal value is reached. It then stops and reapplies the cap to a setable torque level, thus leaving the seal and product uncompromised.
User Display Examples
Creating a Test Profile
Calibration and Verification
Cap Inspector Demonstration Video
- Length: 21 in. (53cm)
- Width: 18.5 in. (47 cm)
- Height: 30.5 in. (77 cm) 32 in.
- Weight: 75 lbs (34kg)
- Accuracy: +/- 0.5% Full scale
- Resolution: 1:1000
- Speed Range: 1 RPM (1-5 RPM)
- Input Power: 120 VAC 60 Hz (220 VAC 50 Hz)
- Operation Humidity: up to 90% (non-condensing)
- Operation Temperature: 41-104°F (5 – 40°C)
Health and Safety
In the workplace today the health and safety of operators is vitally important and It is entirely the responsibility of the employer to ensure health and safety risks are minimised or totally removed where possible. Traditionally cap removal tests were carried out manually which over time can lead to painful repetitive strain injuries to the operators hand/wrist, such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). These injuries are very painful and difficult to heal without proper medical intervention, during which time an operator will be prevented from carrying out their normal duties.
Today eliminating CTS health problems is a focal issue with many companies all over the world, especially with the recent steep increases in the cost of comapny health care programs.
Because our systems are automatic, there is NO MANUAL intervention during the test. Therefore any risk of repetitive strain injury is completely removed, turning a hazardous process into a safe one. An added benefit is that tests are carried out faster and more accurately with results automatically saved ensuring a high level of data integrity.
The cost of health and safety can be high, but a ‘one off’ investment in an automated torque test system, could help to prevent costly compensation claims from an injured employee.
Another consideration is the Health & Safety of the customer, if a cap is too tight or not tight enough, it could pose a serious risk. There are documernted cases of litigation taken against companies because of injury caused by ill fitting closures on their products The Torqo will provide an audit path to prove proper procedures are in place to ensure bottles are capped to the correct specifications.